VEGAN JALAPENO CASHEW QUESO
½ small yellow onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 medium gold potato, chopped (unpeeled)
1 cup water
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for 4-6 hours if you don’t have a high speed blender)
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 small garlic clove
2 jalapenos, seeded (or equivalent jarred)
juice of ½ small lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 jar Rotel tomatoes
1 can drained and rinsed black or pinto beans
- In a small saucepan, combine onion, carrot, potatoes, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and lower to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, jalapeno, lemon, salt and pepper to a blender.
- While still hot, add the cooked vegetables AND the hot cooking water to the blender. Blend on high until everything is completely pureed and smooth and you have something that resembles a cheese sauce. Serve immediately or pour back into the saucepan and keep warm over low until ready to serve.
- If taking the recipe a step further, transfer the dip from the blender back to the saucepan and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, until everything is heated through and flavors are melded.
- Serve with desired accompaniments
Suggested accompaniments: tortilla chips, baked sweet potato rounds, roasted baby potatoes, steamed broccoli or cauliflower